The Book: The Secret of Chimneys
The Author: Agatha Christie
Julia Rating: 8 out of 10
My Comments:
I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, and I love that this one isn't a Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot book - I like to shake things up every once in a while. This book was fantastic. I don't really like the info on the back of the book, so I'll do my own blurb:
In a strange set of coincidences the mysterious Anthony Cade is commissioned by his friend to return to Jolly Old England to deliver a package of letters and a scandalous manuscript. Once there, he runs into all sorts of trouble with the manuscript and finds out that everything is connected to the elusive King Victor - a master criminal that the English Scotland Yard and French Surete are trying to catch. Becoming a suspect himself, Anthony becomes embroiled in the police search for King Victor. His only way out is to prove his innocence by finding the real King Victor.
I really enjoyed the book. It was compelling, with many twists and turns. The only reason I give it an eight is that the chain of coincidences Agatha Christie depicts are too good to be true for any fiction writer. It makes the story rather unbelievable, which is a shame, because I'd really like to believe it.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Book Review: The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie
Posted by
Julia Scott-Douglas
at
12:17 AM
Labels: Agatha Christie, Murder Mystery, Mystery, novel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Agatha Christie is THE greatest mystery writer of all time. I like her "other" stories too. "Ten Little Indians" also called "And then there were none" is the greatest mystery every written. Maybe you could review that one?
I LOVE "Ten Little Indians". I totally agree that it's the greatest mystery ever written. I will for sure review it. I just want to re-read it as I haven't read it since I was... oh... 12 years old? Maybe? Anyway, I'll get it and review it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Post a Comment